July 14, 2020, Wednesday afternoon, after Typhoon Basyang (Conson) hit metro Manila.
There's blackout in Metro Manila and nearby provinces. I was texting a friend who asked if I have work, I told him as far as I'm aware only classed up to the highschool level were suspended that day. And besides, I am confident that since PAGASA suspended classes, it would be a bright, sunny day.
And it was. For as long as I've remembered, even when I was still studying, that PAGASA has this knack of suspending classes when it so happens that the suspended day would be a rainless, dare I even say sunny, day. I've been accustomed to it that it would even become the butt of jokes among students, and now, young professionals.
Fast forward to that evening, when I read about Pres. Aquino reprimanding PAGASA, headed by Prisco Nilo, for its failure to accurately predict (hmm, an oxymoron) the path of Typhoon Basyang and hoped that it'd be the last time PAGASA would err.
Just my two cents,
* Prisco Nilo, I love that guy (nope, not that kind!). I would always associate his name with PAGASA, and the other way around. Through the years that PAGASA has made failed predictions and received constant flack from the general public and with the Chief Executive, he's stood by PAGASA. I thinks he's smart and experienced enough to pursue opportunities outside of government service, and even overseas, but he chose to work and persevere in PAGASA. Bless him!
* PAGASA, how much is your budget now? Checking the 2009 General Appropriations Act (GAA), you were alloted approximately Php 732,000. How far does that take you?
* There's way much more that the Chief of Excutive can do besides hope. I hope that instead of using PAGASA as a scapegoat for the misfortunes that we experienced with Typhoon Basyang, this will become a realization for the government of the importance of PAGASA and take upon the challenge of improving the facilities of this forgotten-till-the-next-storm agency.
No comments:
Post a Comment